Are you interested in serving on one of our committees? Check below for openings and apply today!
|Application to Serve on an Advisory Committee|
Committee Duties and Terms
The Town has a number of advisory boards and Town Council is always seeking interested citizens to become active with our boards.
- Planning Board: The General Statutes grant planning boards fairly broad authority for comprehensive planning and implementation of that comprehensive plan (GS 160A-361 & GS 153A-321). The planning board may
- Make studies of the area within its jurisdiction and surrounding areas;
- Determine objectives to be sought in the development of the study area;
- Prepare and adopt plans for achieving these objectives;
- Develop and recommend policies, ordinances, administrative procedures, and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner;
- Advise the council concerning the use and amendment of means for carrying out plans;
- Exercise any functions in the administration and enforcement of various means for carrying out plans that the council may direct;
- Perform any other related duties that the council may direct.
- Beach Re-nourishment Committee: The Surf City Beach Re-nourishment Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council in investigating, developing, and advocating a beach re-nourishment project for Surf City beaches. This work may include researching and recommending ways and means to carry out a beach re-nourishment project and assisting the Town Council in securing intergovernmental support and funding for a re-nourishment project.
- Beautification and Appearance Committee: The Surf City Beautification and Appearance Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council by identifying, recommending, and developing programs and projects to improve community appearance, including, but not limited to, identification of appearance problems, preparing plans to improve community appearance, programs, and projects to improve community appearance, and coordinating volunteer beautification projects.
- Parks and Recreation Committee: The Surf City Parks and Recreation Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council by carrying out the duties and responsibilities of a parks and recreation commission as set forth in Chapter 2-102 of the Town Code. These duties shall include identifying the parks and recreation needs of residents of and visitors to Surf City, preparing plans to meet the recreation needs of the community, recommending parks and recreation facilities, proposing recreation programs, and making recommendations regarding park use policies and rules.
- Board of Adjustment: The Surf City Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial board as set forth in NCGS 160A-388. Quasi-judicial decisions involve the application of ordinance policies to individual situations. Examples include variances, special- and conditional-use permits (even if issued by the governing board), appeals, and interpretations.