Are you interested in serving on one of our committees? Check below for openings and apply today!
|Application to Serve on an Advisory Committee|
Committee Duties and Terms
The Town has a number of advisory boards and Town Council is always seeking interested citizens to become active with our boards.
- Planning Board: The General Statutes grant planning boards fairly broad authority for comprehensive planning and implementation of that comprehensive plan (GS 160A-361 & GS 153A-321). The planning board may
- Make studies of the area within its jurisdiction and surrounding areas;
- Determine objectives to be sought in the development of the study area;
- Prepare and adopt plans for achieving these objectives;
- Develop and recommend policies, ordinances, administrative procedures, and other means for carrying out plans in a coordinated and efficient manner;
- Advise the council concerning the use and amendment of means for carrying out plans;
- Exercise any functions in the administration and enforcement of various means for carrying out plans that the council may direct;
- Perform any other related duties that the council may direct.
2. Shoreline and Resiliency Committee: The Surf City Beach Shoreline and Resiliency Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council in investigating, developing, and advocating a for beach nourishment and other resiliency projects. This work may include researching and recommending ways and means to carry out a beach nourishment project and assisting the Town Council in securing intergovernmental support and funding for other resiliency projects.
3. Beautification and Enhancement Committee: The Surf City Beautification and Enhancement Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council by identifying, recommending, and developing programs and projects to improve community appearance, including, but not limited to, identification of appearance problems, preparing plans to improve community appearance, programs, and projects to improve community appearance, and coordinating volunteer beautification projects. This Committee is responsible for Surf City's Business and Home of the Month program.
4. Parks and Recreation Advisory Committee: The Surf City Parks and Recreation Committee shall advise and assist the Town Council by carrying out the duties and responsibilities of a parks and recreation commission as set forth in Chapter 2-102 of the Town Code. These duties shall include identifying the parks and recreation needs of residents of and visitors to Surf City, preparing plans to meet the recreation needs of the community, recommending parks and recreation facilities, proposing recreation programs, and making recommendations regarding park use policies and rules.
The purpose of the Committee is to attract and maximize tourism dollars contributed to the Surf City economy through targeted advertising efforts, town sponsored events, and attractions. The Promotions Committee will provide recommendations to enhance existing special events as well as develop ideas on potential new special events while maintaining a focus on the Town of Surf City’s overall Vision.
6. Board of Adjustment: The Surf City Board of Adjustment is a quasi-judicial board as set forth in NCGS 160A-388. Quasi-judicial decisions involve the application of ordinance policies to individual situations. Examples include variances, special- and conditional-use permits (even if issued by the governing board), appeals, and interpretations.